Post-Match Report

Youth Cup: Man City 2-1 Arsenal - Report

Jeff v Manchester City Under-18s

Manchester City U18 -

Manchester City Academy Arena
FA Youth Cup
FA Youth Cup
  Manchester City U18
              0 (25
Manchester City U18
0 (25 39)
2 1
  Arsenal U18
                  Jeff Reine Adelaide (4)
Arsenal U18
Jeff Reine Adelaide (4)
At Manchester City Academy Arena

By Lloyd Webb at the Manchester City Academy Arena


Arsenal Under-18s were beaten 2-1 by Manchester City in the first leg of their FA Youth Cup semi-final on Friday night.

The Gunners took the lead after four minutes when Jeff Reine-Adelaide slipped the ball through Daniel Grimshaw’s legs.

The visitors' could have extended their advantage had Hinds not hit the woodwork moments later, but City drew level courtesy of Lukas Nmecha’s thunderous effort.

Isaac Bradley-Ricketts then put the hosts in front just before the break when he chipped the onrushing Hugo Keto.

The second half continued at a fast and furious pace, but the Gunners were unable to equalise and will have it all to do in the second leg at Emirates Stadium next month.

Setting the scene

Steve Gatting made one change to his side from the quarter-final win against Liverpool two weeks ago.

Marcus McGuane dropped to the bench in place of Chiori Johnson, while Ben Sheaf was named in midfield next to Ismael Bennacer.

Stephy Mavididi retained his role as the central striker, having scored in every round of the competition but one.

First half

After an enthralling pre-match firework show, the Gunners started with a bang when Reine-Adelaide was played through and coolly opened the scoring after four minutes.

Gatting’s side could have been two goals to the good five minutes later, but Hinds rattled the post after a scramble in the box.

Despite an encouraging opening spell for Arsenal, the hosts levelled courtesy of Lukas Nmecha’s powerful effort.

Keto soon had to claw away a dangerous free-kick and then a close-range effort in quick succession.

But the goalkeeper was beaten for a second time before the break when Buckley-Ricketts broke into the box and dinked the ball into the back of the net.

Second half

The opening exchanges followed a similar pattern to the first half, but Johnson had to be alert to clear a loose ball off the Arsenal line.

There was an instant response from the Gunners, but Mavididi could only scrape the post with a shot after a flash of brilliance in the box.

Despite a late chance for substitute Reiss Nelson, the Gunners were to leave Manchester disappointed and with it all to do at Emirates Stadium if they are to advance into the final.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info