Post-Match Report

Under-21s: Arsenal 4-3 Man City - Report

Man City U23 -

Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
Barclays Under-21 Premier League
Barclays Under-21 Premier League
  Arsenal U23
                  Jon Toral (34
                   Hector Bellerin (37)
                   Stefan O'Connor (73)
Arsenal U23
Jon Toral (34
Hector Bellerin (37)
Stefan O'Connor (73)
4 3
  Man City U23
              Adam Drury (46)
               Devante Cole (89)
               Semi Ajayi (90 og)
Man City U23
Adam Drury (46) Devante Cole (89) Semi Ajayi (90 og)
(This match will be played at Boreham Wood FC)

By Isaac Moore at Meadow Park


Arsenal Under-21s produced arguably their best performance of the season to beat Patrick Vieira's Manchester City in a thrilling game at Meadow Park.

First-half goals from Spanish duo Jon Toral and Hector Bellerin set the Gunners on their way before Adam Drury reduced the arrears in the opening moments of the second half.

Stefan O'Connor restored Arsenal's two-goal lead with 17 minutes remaining but Devante Cole set up a nervy finish for the Gunners before Toral completed his brace in stoppage time.

Amazingly, City scored again in the dying seconds through a Semi Ajayi own goal but it wasn't enough to spoil a highly-satisfying night for Steve Gatting's men.

This was a welcome victory for the young Gunners. Their displays in recent weeks had merited more but a lack of ruthlessness in the final third saw them come into this game on the back of three defeats.


With Thursday's FA Youth Cup semi-final first leg in mind, Gatting opted to rest the likes of Chuba Akpom, Leander Siemann, Gedion Zelalem and Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill.

Alfred Mugabo, O'Connor, Zak Ansah and Jack Jebb were the four changes made from the defeat to Everton.

Man City, coached by Arsenal legend Vieira, travelled south with a top-four finish well within their grasp. A win for the visitors would leave them just two points behind leaders Liverpool with a game in hand.


Conditions were tricky on a wet and blustery evening in Hertfordshire and it was Arsenal who made the livelier start. Toral went on a weaving run before seeing his effort pushed away by Ian Lawlor in the seventh minute.

City weathered a strong opening 10 minutes from the Gunners and started to assert themselves in Arsenal's final third.

In the 17th minute, Seko Fofana warmed the palms of Macey with a rasping drive from 25 yards before Sinan Bytyqi forced the Arsenal stopper to tip behind a free-kick.

Arsenal maintained a high-pressing game throughout the first half and, in the 33rd minute, their energy was rewarded. Thomas Eisfeld latched onto a loose pass from Jose Tasende and looked destined to score but was tackled by a City defender. The ball fell to Toral and the Spaniard made no mistake with a simple finish.

The momentum was all with the Gunners now and their lead was doubled four minutes later. It was Bellerin who this time capitalised on some lacklustre City defending. The full back nipped in ahead of Tasende and slotted under Lawlor from six yards.


City immediately set about reducing the deficit after the interval and it didn't take them long. Macey could only punch Sinan Bytyqi's deep cross into Drury's path and the right back slammed past the Arsenal goalkeeper, who was caught out of position.

Kris Olsson then missed a glorious chance to restore Arsenal's two-goal cushion when he miscued Ansah's low cross.

Not for the first time this season, the Gunners had Macey to thank for keeping them ahead.

In the 56th minute O'Connor allowed a long ball to bounce over him, Marcos Lopes was quickest to react and his low cross found substitute Cole just six yards out. Macey somehow kept out his effort - it was surely his best save in his fledgling Gunners career.

Eisfeld leathered a shot over and Olsson drove wide as Arsenal continued their search for a third.

And in the 73rd minute, Gatting's side put the game just about beyond City. The visitors pushed out after clearing an Olsson corner but O'Connor gambled and managed to stay onside from Ajayi's flick on. The defender calmly slotted home after his initial effort was saved by Lawlor.

Arsenal looked to be cruising to victory until a crazy final five minutes.

First Cole slammed in from Bytyqi's low cross to set up a grandstand finish, with four minutes of added time. Toral then danced past three City defenders and fired past Lawlor to make it 4-2 before Ajayi glanced  into his own net from a corner in the third minute of stoppage time.

But Arsenal held out to secure a fine win.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info