Post-Match Report

Ladies: Arsenal 3-0 Watford - Report

Alex Scott

Watford Ladies -

Boreham Wood FC
The FA WSL Continental Cup
The FA WSL Continental Cup
  Arsenal Women
                  Shinobu Ohno (65)
                   Freda Ayisi (76)
                   Alex Scott (86)
Arsenal Women
Shinobu Ohno (65)
Freda Ayisi (76)
Alex Scott (86)
3 0
  Watford Ladies
Watford Ladies

By Isaac Moore at Meadow Park


Arsenal Ladies began their defence of the Continental Cup with a 3-0 win against Watford at Meadow Park on Thursday night.

Japanese forward Shinobo Ohno scored her first goal for the club midway through the second half, before Freda Ayisi added a second with 14 minutes remaining.

Alex Scott headed home her second goal in as many games to complete the victory late on.


Kerr made three changes from the 1-1 draw at Notts County two weeks earlier. Dutch defender Anouk Hoogendijk was handed her first start for the club, while Jade Bailey and Caroline Weir came in for Rachel Yankey and Christie Murray.

Leah Williamson, who has arguably been Arsenal's most impressive performer so far this season, kept her place at the back.

This was the first of four group games in the newly-structured competition. The Gunners also face games against Reading, Chelsea and Millwall - with only the group winners guaranteed to progress.

Kerr's side were impressive in the second half against County and should have won the game but for some lacklustre finishing. But attention has now turned to defending the two domestic cups they won last year.


The first opening fell to the Hornets when Sarah Wiltshire expertly controlled a lofted free-kick before lifting an effort on to the roof of the net.

Despite that early chance, Watford rarely ventured forward in the first half with Arsenal taking control of possession, but much to their frustration they couldn't find a way through.

Kelly Smith saw ambitious drive from 35 yards fly over in the 11th minute, before dragging a low free-kick wide moments later. The veteran forward was forced to withdraw through injury on 27 minutes and was replaced by Ayisi.

In the 38th minute Ohno fed Weir, whose powerful left-footed shot was well held by Lauren Davey.

Arsenal's best chance came two minutes before the break. Danielle Carter raced to the byeline and her cutback found Ohno in space, but the Japanese forward couldn't adjust her feet in time and fired a weak shot just wide.


The Gunners spurned a golden chance to take the lead just moments after the restart. Weir's cross found Carter, whose header hit the post and fell to Kinga three yards out but she somehow put the ball wide with the goal gaping.

Arsenal were on top now and Kinga was unlucky not to make immediate amends for her miss when she combined with compatriot Ohno before seeing her shot tipped over by Davey. Carter steered a shot wide moments later.

Watford rarely ventured into the Arsenal half in the second period. Substitute Magda Mosengo's wayward drive was their only real chance of note.

Arsenal had found their urgency and were camped outside the Watford box. Ayisi did well to wriggle into some space before seeing a curling effort saved by Davey.

The Gunners finally broke down the Watford rearguard and it was the Japansese duo who found the way through. This time Kinga picked out Ohno in space and the forward took one touch before firing beyond Davey.

In the 76th minute, Ayisi put the game beyond Watford when she blasted home after Yankey's cross was only half cleared.

In the end, Arsenal's superior quality on the ball was telling. Scott headed a third from Yankey's floated cross with two minutes to go to complete a resounding win.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info