Post-Match Report

Match report: Wolfsburg 2-0 Arsenal (3-1 agg)


VfL Wolfsburg -

Volkswagen Arena
UEFA Women's Champions League
UEFA Women's Champions League
  VfL Wolfsburg
VfL Wolfsburg
2 0
  Arsenal Women
Arsenal Women


By: Mark Ashenden

Our dreams of a first Champions League semi-final in nine years were ended on a disappointing chilly night in Germany on Thursday, losing 2-0 (3-1 on aggregate) to Wolfsburg.

After Lotte Wubben-Moy’s late heroics in the first-leg 1-1 draw at Emirate Stadium, hopes were high inside the Volkswagen Arena, only for Jill Roord to strike an early blow against her former employers and a Leah Williamson own goal to deny us a last-four spot against Barcelona.

Skipper Kim Little was inspirational throughout and despite an improved showing in the second half – hitting the post twice in the last quarter of an hour - it was the German side who proved too strong to repeat their victory from 2013 when the two teams met in the semi-final.

It was a bizarre start to this finely-poised quarter-final with a five-minute delay before kick-off needed to hoover up confetti, and after the contest did finally get underway, there was another lengthy hold-up for a head injury to Frida Maanum.

Maanum and Tobin Heath were brought into the starting XI, replacing the suspended Beth Mead and Lia Walti, and despite the attacking intent of the visitors, it was the Frauen Bundesliga leaders who looked a constant threat, especially on the right wing.

The warning signs were there in the opening exchanges as Manuela Zinsberger spilled a cross but our keeper was soon picking the ball out of the net in the ninth minute as Wolfsburg scored a scrappy opener.

A corner was not dealt with and our defenders could only watch in horror with former Gunner Roord hooking the ball in from six yards.

Little’s industry and trickery in the middle produced some much-needed spark and on the half-hour we finally forced a save from the hosts’ goalkeeper with a long-range effort from Steph Catley.  

A smart save from Zinsberger’s legs and VAR ruling out a strike from Tabea Wassmuth ensured it remained 1-0 at half-time.

We had 45 minutes to save our Champions League campaign and Caitlin Foord was introduced for the second half in place of Heath.

The change breathed life into Jonas Eidevall’s side and Stina Blackstenius and Wubben-Moy both looked lively as Little battled valiantly to orchestrate a comeback.

Just as we looked increasingly dangerous, Sveindis Jonsdottir crossed from the left to the near post and the unfortunate Williamson could only stick a boot out to turn the ball cruelly into her own net.  

We had a mountain to climb but we burst into life and twice hit the woodwork in the same attack with Vivianne Miedema heading onto the crossbar, followed by Williamson's effort pushed onto the post.

Nikita Parris came off the bench with 20 minutes to try to inspire a miraculous turnaround and the forward was denied a penalty when she went tumbling from a challenge from the goalkeeper.

We kept pushing forward but the damage had been done and Wolfsburg stood up to the barrage of attacks to leave our players dejected and out of the Champions League.


Our wait for more glory on the European stage continues, but we’ve got a tasty FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea coming up on April 17, and we’re still pushing hard to be Women's Super League champions with five games left.


A trip to Leicester City at King Power Stadium on Sunday April 3 for a return to domestic duties in the Women’s Super League.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info