Post-Match Report

U-23s: Arsenal 1-2 Liverpool - Report

Liverpool Under 23 -

Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
Premier League 2 - Division One
Premier League 2 - Division One
  Arsenal U23
                  Nelson (48)
Arsenal U23
Nelson (48)
1 2
  Liverpool Under 23
              R. Brewster (70)
               S. Hart (90)
Liverpool Under 23
R. Brewster (70) S. Hart (90)



Reiss Nelson scored his fifth goal of the season but our under-23s were beaten 2-1 by Liverpool at Meadow Park on Friday.


The 17-year-old opened the scoring just moments after the interval with a delightful chip over Kamil Grabara.


The Reds equalised through Rhian Brewster with 20 minutes left and, in their search for a winner, were denied by Keto, who pulled out some fine saves in the closing moments to keep the scores level.


But Liverpool scored the winner in the 90th minute through Sam Hart, who fired in an unstoppable free-kick.



Coming off the back of our 4-3 victory against Manchester City on Monday night, Steve Gatting rang the changes, with Hugo Keto coming in for Matt Macey in goal, Jordi Osei-Tutu and Marcus McGuane starting in defence and Chuba Akpom leading the line.


Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Joe Willock were in the holding midfield roles, while Eddie Nketiah, Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide made up the attacking trident in behind Akpom, who led the line.


It didn’t take us long to create our first chance of the match, as Akpom aimed a shot at the near post, only to be denied by Grabara.


A few moments later, the visitors had their own chance on goal through Danny Ings, who was denied by Keto.


The game soon settled down and both sides struggled to carve out many opportunities. Ings, however, came close in the 23rd minute, as he met a corner and sent a glancing header just wide of the far post.


Eddie Nketiah then came close as he fired a shot into the side netting.


With the half-time break nearing, Liverpool’s Yan Dhanda came close with a dipping shot, which Keto pushed over the bar. 



Shortly after the interval, we took the lead, through a brilliant chip from Nelson. The forward broke free and delightfully prodded the ball over Grabara to put us in the lead.


In search of an equaliser, Liverpool turned up the heat and came close in the 63rd minute through Ings, who was again denied by a fantastic save from Keto.


The visitors drew level just five minutes later, as Rhian Brewster curled a fine effort past Keto.


The Arsenal goalkeeper came to the rescue once again, in the 80th minute, when he tipped a fizzed effort at goal onto the crossbar to keep the scores level.

But Liverpool did find a winner in the 90th minute, when Hart fired a free-kick in from 25 yards out.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Friendly Match
Ticket Info