The club’s original matchday media is our official programme, and it still breaking new ground after a century's worth of publications.
The content in the Sheffield United edition is a uniquely curated selection to celebrate Black History Month, with Dr Clive Nwonka, Professor of Film, Culture and Society at University College London and author of the upcoming Black Arsenal, is Guest Editor for the publication.
As well as spending a day at London Colney, where he spoke to Reiss Nelson about representation to produce a fascinating interview, Dr Nwonka also provided input into numerous features, including:
- Our cover reflects a theme of Black Arsenal greats, lifting up and inspiring subsequent generations – the image is also our giant poster in this issue
- Martin Odegaard reflects on recent matches and how diversity brings us together
- Dr Nwonka explains what Black History Month means to him and we look at BHM events that have taken place at the club this year
- Reiss Nelson reflects on his childhood experiences of racism – and while on loan in Germany
- We profile the five Black women who led Arsenal Women to a season like no other in 2006/07
- No More Red recipients, Box Up Crime are featured, with a focus on equality
- The Community Voice hears from a young participant’s focus on being an ally to the Black community
- We hear from Brendon Batson on becoming our first-ever Black player
- Mercury Music Prize winners The Ezra Collective tell us why Black Gunners inspired their support
- Club legend Rachel Yankey recalls the pain of experiencing racism during a match
- Our Young Gun Reece Clairmont tells us which Black players inspire him to succeed
- Sol Campbell is our ‘Invincible’ interview and our defensive rock also gives his thoughts on Black History Month
- As does Clive Palmer, our Invincible Supporter featured in this issue
- And we sign off this programme with a poem from Gboyega Odubanjo, a hugely talented young Black poet and Arsenal supporter who sadly died recently.
The programme will be available at Emirates Stadium, from our sellers and club shops as well as online, and don’t forget, if you purchase a programme it also allows you to get one of our beautiful collectibles - the programme pin badge!
Copyright 2023 The Arsenal Football Club Limited. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.