Post-Match Report

Report: Bayern Munich 1-0 Arsenal

Bukayo Saka in action against Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich -

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Champions League
  Bayern Munich
              J. Kimmich (62)
Bayern Munich
J. Kimmich (62)
1 0

We saw our Champions League dream end for another season as Bayern Munich claimed a 1-0 home win to progress to the semi-finals.

A promising first half from our perspective failed to produce a goal, and after the break Bayern struck the goalframe twice before taking the lead on the night and on aggregate when Joshua Kimmich headed home what proved to be the decisive goal.

We couldn’t respond to that setback and ultimately saw our first taste of Champions League action in seven years come to a halt at the hands of the six-time winners.

Cagey opening

The task at hand was a difficult one. In the knockout stages of the Champions League, the German giants had only failed to progress from one of their previous 18 two-legged ties when avoiding defeat in the first leg, but the opening 45 showed we weren’t daunted.

Perhaps lessons were learnt from the chaotic first leg, as the first 30 minutes was a stalemate as both managers ensured their sides were as watertight as possible. That meant chances on goal were few and far between, but gradually things began to open up.

Firstly, Jamal Musiala forced David Raya into a diving stop, and then we created our first moments of danger. Surrounded by Bayern defenders on the edge of their own area, Martin Odegaard tried his luck and saw his shot spin awkwardly towards Manuel Neuer who had to claw it to safety.

Then in the next meaningful passage of play, Bukayo Saka picked out a well-placed Gabriel Martinelli but he shot tamely straight at the shot-stopper as the biggest chance of the half went begging.

We were marginally the better side in the opening 45 minutes by virtue of creating the most opportunities, and a couple more half-chances fell our way before the interval as Kai Havertz headed a free-kick at Neuer before Ben White flicked the ball onto his right foot but drove over the bar.

Second half setback

Having not really imposed themselves, a rejuvenated Bayern came out firing at the start of the second half and within a minute sent out a warning shot as they rattled the woodwork twice in quick succession.

Kimmich scooped a cross into the box which Leon Goretzka headed onto the bar, and the rebound fell to Raphael Guerreiro who saw his effort smack off William Saliba and then the foot of the post.

But in the 62nd minute, Thomas Tuchel’s team found the breakthrough. Leroy Sane’s cross was palmed away by Raya, but Guerreiro once again picked up possession on the opposite side of the box. He dinked the ball into a crowd of players that Kimmich charged towards, and the full-back headed it powerfully into the net to put us behind.

Just as he did when we trailed at home, Mikel Arteta responded by sending on Gabriel Jesus and Leandro Trossard but this time they couldn’t quite make the same impact to get us back on level terms.

Bayern shut up shop knowing they had a spot in the last four in their grasp, and managed to pretty much nullify everything we tried to throw at them, although Gooners hearts were in mouths when Odegaard broke into the box and let fly but Neuer nudged his shot into the side-netting.

That proved to be our final sight of goal, as we exited the competition at the quarter-final stage.

What's next

On Saturday we head to Wolves as we attempt to get back to winning ways in the Premier League, which is swiftly followed by a visit from Chelsea on Tuesday, April 23 - five days before the second north London derby of the season.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Friendly Match
Ticket Info