Football historian LEIGH EDWARDS profiles every Arsenal player from 60 post-war League seasons.

Inspirational central defender and captain Tony Adams gained 66 England caps whilst at Arsenal. Signing professional at Highbury in January 1984, he featured prominently as the Gunners won the Littlewoods Cup in 1987 and League Championship in 1988/89 and 1990/91. He also starred as Arsenal won the FA Cup and Coca-Cola Cup in 1993 and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1994 as well as the 'double' in 1997/98 and 2001/02, netting 32 goals in 504 League games until retiring after his testimonial match against Celtic in May 2002.
After managing Wycombe Wanderers, he is now Portsmouth's assistant-boss.

Skilful inside-forward Colin Addison featured in Arsenal's 1967/68 League Cup run. Initially with York City, he moved to Nottingham Forest for £12,000 in January 1961 and topped their goalscoring charts on three occasions. Bertie Mee paid £45,000 for him in September 1966 and he netted nine goals in 30 First Division games for Arsenal before being sold to Sheffield United for £40,000 in November 1967. He became Hereford United's player-boss in October 1971, then was manager/coach of numerous clubs including Newport County, West Brom and Derby County as well as coaching extensively in Spain.

Togo international striker Emmanuel Adebayor is a current member of Arsenal's squad. Starting with hometown Lome, he joined Metz in July 2001 and was an influential figure as they regained French top-flight status at the first attempt in 2002/03. He moved to Monaco in July 2003 and played for them in the UEFA Champions League before Arsène Wenger bought him from his former club in January 2006. Scoring on his Premiership debut in Arsenal's 2-0 win at Birmingham City the following month, he has now netted four times in 14 Premiership games and played for his country in this summer's World Cup. 

French U-21 striker Jeremie Aliadiere featured in Arsenal's record-breaking 2003/04 Premiership title campaign. A former scholar at Highbury, he turned professional in April 2000 and helped the Gunners win the FA Youth Cup in 2000/01. He made his Premiership debut in Arsenal's 4-1 victory at home to Fulham in February 2002 and gained further top-flight experience before suffering a knee injury in the 2004 FA Community Shield win over Manchester United that sidelined him for much of that season. Loaned to Celtic, West Ham and Wolves last season.

Versatile winger Ian Allinson scored in Arsenal's 1986/87 Littlewoods Cup semi-final replay win over Spurs. Signing professional for Colchester United in October 1975, he starred in their 1976/77 promotion triumph and was twice leading marksman, moving to Highbury in August 1983. He netted 16 goals in 83 First Division games for Arsenal prior to joining Stoke City in June 1987. Moving to Luton Town four months later, he helped them reach the FA Cup semi-finals and Simod Cup final in 1987/88. He briefly rejoined Colchester, then managed Baldock and Stotfold and is now Boreham Wood's director of football.

Spanish 'keeper Manuel Almunia replaced the red-carded Jens Lehmann in Arsenal's goal during the 2006 UEFA Champions League final. Initially with Osasuna B, he played for Cartagonova and Sabadell prior to joining Celta Vigo in June 2001. He was loaned to Eibar, Recreativo and Albacete before moving to Arsenal for £500,000 in July 2004 and made his Premiership debut in the 3-0 win over Birmingham City five months later. Starting 11 consecutive games before losing out to Lehmann again, he starred in that season's FA Cup fifth round replay win at Sheffield United and gained an FA Cup winner's medal in 2005.

Republic of Ireland U-21 midfielder Kwame Ampadu briefly sampled top-flight football with Arsenal. Signing professional at Highbury in November 1988, he made his First Division debut as a substitute in Arsenal's 3-1 victory at Derby County in February 1990 and also appeared in the 1-0 win over Everton a week later. He was sold to West Brom for £50,000 in June 1991 and helped them win promotion in 1992/93. Moving to Swansea City for £15,000 in February 1994, he featured in their 1994 Autoglass Trophy final triumph and has since played for Leyton Orient, Exeter City, Newport County and now Tiverton.

England Youth winger Terry Anderson played for Arsenal in the first game televised on Match of the Day in August 1964. Signing professional at Highbury in August 1961, he made his League debut in Arsenal's 4-0 victory at West Ham in March 1963 and netted six goals in 26 First Division games prior to joining Norwich City for £15,000 in February 1965. He helped them win the Second Division title in 1971/72 and reach the League Cup final in 1972/73, then played for Baltimore Comets in the NASL, Scunthorpe, Crewe and Colchester. He ran the Castle Hotel in Caister but was tragically found drowned in January 1980.

England international right-back Viv Anderson was capped 16 times whilst at Highbury. Signing professional for Nottingham Forest in August 1974, he starred as Brian Clough's side won promotion in 1976/77, the League Championship and League Cup in 1977/78 and European Cup in two consecutive seasons. He joined Arsenal for £250,000 in July 1984 and scored nine times in 120 First Division games, helping to win the Littlewoods Cup shortly before moving to Manchester United for £250,000 in May 1987. Later with Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley, he then assisted Bryan Robson at Middlesbrough.

Teenage French international striker Nicolas Anelka featured prominently in Arsenal's 1997/98 'double' success. Initially with Paris St Germain, he moved to Highbury in March 1997 and scored in the 1998 FA Cup final. He netted 23 goals in 65 Premiership games for the Gunners before joining Real Madrid for a reported £22,900,000 in August 1999. After returning to Paris St Germain a year later, he was loaned to Liverpool in December 2001 and helped them finish Premiership runners-up that season. He joined Manchester City for £7,000,000 in July 2002 and moved to Fenerbahce for £10,000,000 in January 2005.

Long-serving England U-23 winger 'Geordie' Armstrong was ever-present in Arsenal's 1970/71 'double' success. Signing professional at Highbury in August 1961, he featured in two League Cup finals as well as the Gunners' 1970 Fairs Cup final triumph. He was also ever-present as Arsenal were FA Cup finalists in 1972 and had a testimonial match against Barcelona in March 1974. Netting 53 goals in 500 First Division games before reuniting with Frank McLintock at Leicester City in September 1977, he then played for Stockport. He later rejoined Arsenal as reserve team coach until his sudden, tragic death on the Arsenal training pitches in November 2000. 

England Youth right-back Dave Bacuzzi contested a first-team slot with Jimmy Magill whilst at Arsenal. The son of former Fulham favourite Joe Bacuzzi, he played for Eastbourne United before following Ron Greenwood to Highbury in May 1959. He helped Arsenal reserves win the Football Combination in 1962/63 and made 46 First Division appearances prior to joining Manchester City for £25,000 in April 1964. Featuring in their 1965/66 Second Division title triumph, he joined Reading in September 1966 and later achieved success as Cork Hibs player-manager. He has since worked as a travel agent in Dublin.

England international centre-forward Joe Baker was Arsenal's leading marksman in four successive seasons. He was a prolific goalscorer for Hibernian before joining Italian side Torino for £70,000 in May 1961 and moved to Arsenal for a similar fee in August 1962. Ever-present in 1964/65, he netted 93 goals in 144 First Division games prior to joining Nottingham Forest for £65,000 in February 1966. He moved to Sunderland in June 1969, then played for Hibernian and Raith Rovers before managing Albion Rovers. Later a publican in Craigneuk, he then worked in the building trade and died in Wishaw in October 2003..

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
17 Aug 2006