Football historian LEIGH EDWARDS profiles every Arsenal player from 60 post-war League seasons.

Welsh international striker John Hartson scored for Arsenal in the 1995 ECWC final. Signing professional for Luton Town in December 1992, he helped them reach the FA Cup semi-finals in 1993/94 and moved to Highbury in January 1995. He netted 14 goals in 53 Premiership games for Arsenal before being sold to West Ham in February 1997. Leading marksman in 1997/98, he joined Wimbledon for £7,000,000 in January 1999 and had a spell with Coventry City prior to joining Celtic in August 2001. He starred in their 2001/02 'treble' triumph and joined West Brom for £500,000 in July 2006.

Northern Ireland U-23 midfielder Jimmy Harvey was a young member of Terry Neill's squad at Arsenal. Initially with Glenavon, he was Ulster's 'Young Player of the Year' in 1976/77 and moved to Highbury for £20,000 in August 1977. He played three First Division games for Arsenal prior to joining Hereford United in March 1980. A Welsh Cup finalist in 1981, he starred as they took the Gunners to an FA Cup third round replay in 1984/85, moving via Bristol City to Tranmere Rovers in October 1987. He helped win promotion twice and the Leyland DAF Cup in 1990, since managing Morecambe and now Forest Green Rovers.

Republic of Ireland International outside-left Joe Haverty was capped 15 times while at Arsenal. Initially with Home Farm, he played for St Patrick's Athletic in the Irish Cup final shortly before joining Arsenal in July 1954. He netted 25 goals in 114 League games before being sold to Blackburn Rovers for £12,000 in July 1961 and joined Millwall in September 1962. Briefly with Celtic prior to joining Bristol Rovers in December 1964, he then played for Shelbourne, Chicago Spurs, Kansas City Spurs, Dallas Tornado and Shamrock Rovers. Settling in Dublin, he was a welder for Volkswagen then a part-time scout for Arsenal. 

Striker John Hawley helped Arsenal finish fifth in the top-flight in 1981/82. Signing professional for Hull City in April 1972, he joined Leeds United for £81,000 in May 1978 and was leading marksman in 1978/79. He moved to Sunderland for £200,000 in September 1979 then reunited with Terry Neill at Arsenal for £50,000 in September 1981. Scoring three goals in 20 First Division games, he was loaned to Orient and Hull prior to joining Happy Valley in May 1983. He helped Bradford City win the Third Division title in 1984/85 then played for Scunthorpe and has since worked for the family antiques business in Beverley.

England U21 striker Martin Hayes was Arsenal's leading marksman in 1986/87. A former apprentice at Highbury, he turned professional in November 1983 and featured in two consecutive Littlewoods Cup finals, including Arsenal's 1987 Wembley triumph. He then helped clinch the League Championship in 1988/89 and scored 26 times in 102 First Division games for the Gunners before being sold to Celtic for £650,000 in May 1990. He joined Swansea City in January 1993 then played for Dover, Cliftonville and Romford. Now a car salesman, he manages Bishop's Stortford and his brother Paul plays for Barnsley. 

England U21 winger Neil Heaney was a member of George Graham's squad at Arsenal. A former trainee at Highbury, he helped the Gunners win the FA Youth Cup in 1988 and signed professionally in November 1989. He featured in Arsenal's 1989/90 Football Combination title triumph and played seven League games prior to joining Southampton for £300,000 in March 1994. Moving to Manchester City for £500,000 in November 1996, he joined Darlington in August 1999 and featured in the 1999/2000 Third Division play-off final. He then played for Dundee United before joining Plymouth Argyle where injury ended his career.

Young winger Mark Heeley was a member of Terry Neill's squad that reached three successive FA Cup finals. A former Peterborough United apprentice, he made his League debut as a 16 year-old in May 1976 and impressed with his hometown club before moving to Highbury for £50,000 in September 1977. His solitary goal in 15 First Division games came in Arsenal's 4-2 defeat at Bolton Wanderers in March 1979 and he was sold to Northampton Town for £35,000 in March 1980. He later played for Aylesbury United, Stamford and Buckingham Town while working for a catalogue company, settling back in Peterborough.

Dutch international winger Glenn Helder was George Graham's last signing for Arsenal. Initially with Ajax, he joined Sparta Rotterdam in July 1989 and moved to Vitesse Arnhem for £250,000 in July 1993. He made his international debut against France shortly before joining Arsenal in February 1995. Regularly featuring as a substitute, his solitary goal in 39 Premiership games clinched the Gunners' 3-2 victory at Middlesbrough in January 1996. He joined NAC Breda in October 1997 then played for Dalian Wanda, MTK Budapest and Roosendaal, also appearing in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial match. 

Scotland international forward Jackie Henderson was capped twice while at Arsenal. Signing professional for Portsmouth in January 1949, he starred as they finished third in the top-flight in 1954/55 and moved to Wolves for £30,000 in March 1958. George Swindin paid £20,000 for him in October 1958 and he netted 29 goals in 103 League games for Arsenal prior to joining Fulham for £14,000 in January 1962. He moved to Poole in July 1964 and was top scorer in their 1964/65 promotion success then played for Dorchester. Settling in Broadstone, he spent 30 years as a storeman for a builder's merchant and died in January 2005. 

French international striker Thierry Henry has been Arsenal's leading marksman for the past seven seasons, including the record-breaking 2003/04 Premiership title triumph. Initially with Monaco, he moved via Juventus to Highbury in August 1999 and starred as the Gunners were UEFA Cup finalists in 2000. He helped France win the European Championship and Arsenal to reach three successive FA Cup finals, starring in the 2001/02 'double' triumph. An FA Cup winner again in 2005, he now holds Arsenal's goal scoring record and played in both the UEFA Champions League Final and World Cup Final this year.

Scotland international centre-forward David Herd was Arsenal's leading goalscorer in four successive seasons. He played alongside his father Alec at Stockport County before moving to Highbury for £10,000 in August 1954. Starring as Arsenal finished third in 1958/59, he scored 97 times in 166 First Division games prior to joining Manchester United for £35,000 in July 1961. He netted twice in their 1963 FA Cup final triumph, also featuring in two League Championship successes. Later with Stoke City and Waterford, he managed Lincoln City then owned two garages in Manchester until April 1999. David is interviewed on page 56 of today's programme.

Versatile defender Colin Hill was capped 27 times by Northern Ireland after leaving Arsenal. Signing professional at Highbury in August 1981, his solitary goal in 46 First Division games came in the Gunners' 4-1 victory at home to Nottingham Forest in October 1983 and he joined Portuguese side CS Maritimo in July 1986. He moved to Colchester United in October 1987, joining Sheffield United in August 1989 and helping win promotion in 1989/90. Sold to Leicester City in March 1992, he later played for Swedish side Trelleborgs and Northampton Town. He now runs a PR business in Northampton.

England U21 midfielder David Hillier featured in Arsenal's 1990/91 League Championship success. A former trainee at Highbury, he captained the Gunners' 1988 FA Youth Cup final triumph and helped win the Football Combination title in 1989/90. He was unlucky to miss the 1993 FA Cup and Coca-Cola Cup and 1994 ECWC Final successes through injury but played in the 1995 ECWC Final. Scoring twice in 104 League games for Arsenal before being sold to Portsmouth for £250,000 in November 1996, he joined Bristol Rovers in February 1999 then played for Barnet and Clevedon. He is now a fireman in Bristol.


Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
16 Nov 2006