Post-Match Report

U-23s: Arsenal 3-3 Man City - Report

Manchester City Under 23 -

Emirates Stadium
Premier League 2 - Division One
Premier League 2 - Division One
  Arsenal U23
Arsenal U23
3 - 3
  Manchester City Under 23
Manchester City Under 23

By Connor Armstrong at Emirates Stadium


Carl Jenkinson’s last-gasp equaliser saw us claim a point after a dramatic 3-3 draw with Manchester City at Emirates Stadium.

Thierry Ambrose struck twice to give the visitors a two-goal lead, before Donyell Malen pulled one back with a calm finish just before the interval.

Reiss Nelson drew our under-23s level after just 10 minutes of the second period, but Lukas Nmecha restored the Citizens’ lead with 20 minutes remaining.

Then came the late drama. With Eddie Nketiah looking to find a dramatic equaliser of his own, the ball broke into the path of Jenkinson who duly drilled home as Steve Gatting’s side picked up a well-earned point.


Gatting started with Ryan Huddart in goal, with the central-defensive pairing of Rob Holding and captain Ben Sheaf in front of him.

Jenkinson and Cohen Bramall started in the full-back positions, with Jeff Reine-Adelaide pairing up with Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Malen, Nelson and Chris Willock lined up behind Yaya Sanogo in attack.

The prolific Nketiah started from the bench. 


The opening exchanges were typified by an ebb and flow of end-to-end attacking play, with City proving to be the sharper side in the final third.

Ambrose struck twice, combining with Denzeil Boadu for his opener before latching onto a lofted ball from Ed Francis for the second.

Nelson curled an effort over the crossbar before Sanogo saw an effort deflected off target as the Gunners continued to press for a goal of their own.

The goal did eventually come, with Malen making a smart run and slotting home after an incisive pass from Nelson.


The momentum from the first period carried over into the second as our under-23s continued to mount promising attacks.

Nelson drew the scores level when he slammed home inside the penalty area after Sanogo’s initial strike was thwarted by a block from a City defender.

Nmecha then put the Citizens back in front, sending Huddart the wrong way after Cohen Bramall misjudged a tackle and gave the visitors a penalty.

It looked as if we would go home empty-handed, until Jenkinson’s thumping late drive rescued a point for Gatting’s charges.

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Friendly Match
Ticket Info