Post-Match Report

Ladies: Birmingham 1-0 Arsenal - Report

Birmingham City Women -

Autotech Stadium, Solihull Moors FC
  Birmingham City Women
Birmingham City Women
1 0
  Arsenal Women
Arsenal Women

Arsenal: Van Veenendaal, Williamson, Williams, Janssen, O'Reilly, Nobbs, Little, McCabe, Carter, Taylor, Van de Donk 

Subs: Mead (for Taylor - 60), Kelly (for Van de Donk - 85)

Subs not used: Moorhouse, Patten, Humphrey

Please note that the automated teamsheet at the bottom of this article is faulty.


Our defence of the SSE Women’s FA Cup came to a cruel end on Sunday afternoon at Damson Park, with Birmingham winning 1-0.

We enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and carved out a number of opportunities, but were stung with just 17 minutes remaining.

Maris Ewers scored the Blues’ goal, finding the top corner after a cut-back from Ellie Brazil.

Dan Carter went close on a couple of occasions, with Kim Little also denied by the Birmingham defence. 


Pedro Martinez Losa opted for an unchanged XI, with Sari van Veenendaal continuing in goal behind a back three of Leah Williamson, Fara Williams and Dominique Janssen.

The midfield was comprised of Heather O’Reilly, Kim Little, Jordan Nobbs and Katie McCabe.

Danielle van de Donk played further forward, with Carter and Jodie Taylor up front.

Beth Mead started from the bench. 


Van Veenendaal was called into action early on as the hosts issued an early warning, but the Dutch international held on to Ellen White’s shot.

Little then went close, but attempted to take the ball round goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger rather than take aim and was denied.

Carter and Van de Donk then forced saves from Berger as the pressure continued to build before the interval. 


Carter then fired wide of the post at the start of the second period, as Losa’s side continued to chase the game’s opening goal.

McCabe seized on the ball, darting inside and taking aim as she looked to break the deadlock herself, but her effort failed to trouble Berger.

Nobbs then tried her luck with a volley, but couldn’t help but steer her attempt wide of the target.

Disaster then struck with 13 minutes remaining when Ewers found the net to condemn us to a quarter-final exit.