Post-Match Report

U21s report: Arsenal 3-3 Manchester City


Manchester City U21 -

Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
Premier League 2 - Division One
Premier League 2 - Division One
  Arsenal U21
Arsenal U21
3 3
  Manchester City U21
Manchester City U21

We drew 3-3 with Manchester City in Premier League 2 at Meadow Park on Friday night, having come from 2-0 down to lead 3-2.

Jaden Heskey's first-half goal sent City into the break with a one-goal lead, before Mahmadou Susoho scored with a free-kick early in the second half. Amario Cozier-Duberry pulled one back for us from the penalty spot, and then netted his brace thanks to a great assist from Reuell Walters. Khayon Edwards then tucked the ball into the far corner to complete the turnaround.

Unfortunately, an impressive finish from City substitute Jacob Wright ensured the points were shared.

Searching for the opener

City had the first chance of the game when Tomas Galves sent the ball over the top for Micah Hamilton to run onto down the left wing. He drifted inside and went for goal, but the shot was straight at Ovie Ejeheri.

At the other end, the ball was given away to Cozier-Duberry, who played a one-two with Edwards and forced a save from George Murray Jones, who closed the angle.

Michal Rosiak sent a long-range free-kick high and wide before Jimi Gower came closer with a curling shot tipped onto the crossbar.

A City free-kick was poked wide by Jahmai Simpson-Pusey before Taylor Foran made a vital block to deny Heskey, who had been put through on goal by Josh Adam.

Max Alleyne played a one-two with Hamilton and shot just wide of the bottom left corner, before Murray Jones made a series of important saves.

He got his hands on a cross into the box from Charles Sagoe Jr and then made the save from Joshua Nichols' rebound, before saving again the following shot from Gower.

City take the lead

But the away side took the lead in the 36th minute, Emilio Laurence cutting in from the right and his shot falling for Heskey to tap in for 1-0.

Heskey then shot wide from the edge of the area before finding Hamilton on the left and Nichols got back to block the ball and concede a corner.

Murray Jones was quick off his line to smother the ball as Gower created an opening for Edwards, and on the brink of half-time the ball was given away to Cozier-Duberry, but again the City keeper got down to his right to catch the shot.

Susoho makes it two

We made one change at half-time, Osman Kamara replacing Nichols.

In the 49th minute, Susoho bent a free-kick over our wall and past Ejeheri for 2-0 to City.

The visitors on top, Laurence then looked to bend the ball into the far corner but Ejeheri got down to his right to make a great fingertip save.

At the other end, Laurence fired over the top with power in a relentless start to the second half.

The turnaround

We had a chance to pull one back when Sagoe Jr put Edwards through on goal. He was brought down by Jahmai Simpson-Pusey and the referee pointed to the spot. Cozier-Duberry stepped up to take, shooting for the bottom right corner. Murray Jones saved the penalty, but Cozier-Duberry was quick to tap-in the rebound for 2-1.

In the 68th minute, Walters did really well to read the game and win the ball just beyond the halfway line. He charged forward from his right-back position and set the ball up for Cozier-Duberry, who nestled it past the keeper for 2-2.

City should have taken the lead again when Michal Rosiak lost the ball in a dangerous area, but Heskey shot wide of the post from close range.

They were forced to rue their missed opportunity, as we immediately went 3-2 up at the other end, Sagoe Jr crossing for Edwards to creep the ball into the far corner.

With seven minutes remaining, Ejeheri made a good save to keep us ahead, blocking the ball with his feet after Adam found Michael Okeke in a dangerous area. He was on hand again to stop Galves as City hunted an equaliser.

Maldini Kacurri came on for Rosiak with four minutes to go.

City equalise late

But with just three minutes remaining, substitute Wright wriggled through our defence and accurately picked out the top right corner for 3-3.

Hamilton tucked the ball wide for City as seven minutes were added onto the end of the second half.

Nathan Henderson's ball into the box was punched clear by Ejeheri in the seventh minute of added time before the referee brought a rollercoaster of a game to a close.


We're second in Premier League 2 with 17 points from eight games, seven points behind leaders Tottenham Hotspur.


Our Under-21s travel to the Select Car Leasing Stadium to face Reading's first team in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday, November 14. However, a number of the squad will also likely feature in next Wednesday's Under-19s game against Sevilla in the UEFA Youth League.


Arsenal XI: Ejeheri, Walters, Foran, Monlouis (C), Nichols (Kamara 46), Rosiak (Kacurri 86), Gower, Heaven, Cozier-Duberry, Edwards, Sagoe Jnr

Substitutes (not used): Hillson, Ferdinand, Copley

Man City XI: Murray Jones, Carrington, Simpson-Pusey, Alleyne, Galves, Susoho (Wright 76), Laurence (Henderson 87), Okeke, Heskey, Adam, Hamilton (C)

Substitutes (not used): Smith, Grant, Thomas


Goals: Arsenal - Cozier-Duberry (56, 68), Edwards (78), Man City - Heskey (36), Susoho (49), Wright (87)

Bookings: Arsenal - Ejeheri (90+1), Man City - Simpson-Pusey (55), Heskey (73)

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info