By Tom Bennett at Pizza Hut Park, Dallas

Steve Bould’s young side built on their opening-day win over Dallas Texans to secure a second convincing victory in under 24 hours against Chorrillo FC and leave themselves on the brink of qualification for the Semi-Finals of the Dallas Cup.

Although away from the pomp of Pizza Hut Park’s 21,000 seat stadium for this game, on one of the facility’s outer pitches and in sweltering afternoon heat, the Arsenal Under-19s were just as clinical as they had been the night before.

Three penalties, dispatched by Conor Henderson, Luke Freeman and Oguzhan Ozyakup, a second strike by Freeman, a Josh Rees volley and a delicate chip from Zak Ansah secured Arsenal a 6-0 victory over the Panamanian side.

In the first half-hour, there were chances for both sides. Ten minutes in, Freeman latched onto a through-ball from Henderson, skipped round the keeper and curled in a shot from wide, only to see it cleared off the line. At the other end, Carlos Velasquez and Luis Eduardo Guadalupe could both have scored but for fine keeping from Sean McDermott.

Five minutes before the interval though, Arsenal broke through. Henderson was bundled over in the Chorrillo box, and the Irishman converted the subsequent penalty.

From there on in it was all Arsenal.

Ozyakup was unlucky to not double the Gunners’ advantage before the break, hitting the underside of the bar with a fine strike on 45 minutes. 

But the second goal came soon after the restart. A handball and subsequent second penalty, scored this time by Freeman, put Arsenal two up with 50 minutes played.

Moments later it was three. Roarie Deacon curled an inviting cross in from the left which Rees latched onto, volleying home from close range.

After 63 minutes, Freeman raced onto a through-ball and finished a weaving run with a low side-foot shot past the keeper for his second and Arsenal’s fourth.

Ten minutes later, Arsenal scored again. Ansah’s quick feet attracted a lunging tackle inside the box and resulted in a third penalty for the Gunners. This time it was Ozyakup who stepped up. The result was the same though and Arsenal were five up.

The Dutch youth international was involved again moments later when he was fouled by Alexander Caballero. He received a straight red for his troubles to cement a bad afternoon for Chorrillo. 

It would get worse for the Central Americans though when Ansah completed the scoring for Arsenal. Henderson split the Chorrillo defence with a perfectly-weighted 25-yard through-ball, which Ansah collected before deftly lifting over the keeper and into the far corner of the net for six.

A great afternoon for Arsenal then and, for the tournament’s top scorers, a chance to look ahead to the latter stages of the competition.

Arsenal: McDermott, Hajrovic (Monteiro 61), Angha (Smith 66), Brislen-Hall (Bihmoutine 66), Boateng, Ebecilio (Edge 66), Deacon (Ansah 58), Ozyakup, Henderson, Freeman, Rees (Wynter (61)

Chorrillo FC: Velasquez, Aldahir, Fonseca, Guadalupe, Santamaria, Estrada, Pinto, Jimenez, Vence, Flores, Armijo Subs: Palaez, Maughn, Calvo, Moreno, Palacio, Caballero, Ortiz

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
19 Apr 2011