By Richard Clarke

Arsenal have not agreed a fee with Zenit St Petersburg over the purchase of Andrei Arshavin and any deal is still some distance away.

Media reports on Tuesday morning suggested the 27-year-old’s move to Emirates Stadium was nearing completion with only personal details still to be negotiated.

At his press conference ahead of the trip to Everton, Arsène Wenger denied that was the case.

“There is no news about Andrei Arshavin or about anybody else that is why I cannot give you anything,” he said. “At the moment it is all quiet.”

The Frenchman was asked outright if a price had been decided and whether a deal was far away.

“[That is] not true,” he replied. “In this job ‘far’ doesn’t mean a lot. I believe that we are not close to concluding any transfer, Arshavin or anybody else.  

“I don’t know [if it will happen] frankly. Time is getting short and at the moment I am more focused to win the game tomorrow. We know we are in front of a big game and the most important thing is to focus on that.”

This stance is directly opposed to the noises coming out of Zenit. But Wenger’s policy through this saga has been to maintain media silence as much as possible.

“I am only responsible for the statements we make and I cannot be responsible for the statements that other clubs make,” said the Frenchman.

“Zenit look to have different voices coming out of the club and I’m not sure if it always the official voice. I believe what I see and what I hear directly.”

As ever, the official announcement of any signing will be made via Arsenal.com.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source 27 Jan 2009