By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger has never witnessed a worse injury than the one suffered by Eduardo at Birmingham last year. But the Arsenal manager believes it is time for everyone to leave that harrowing episode in the past.

The challenge which earned Martin Taylor a red card and left Eduardo with a broken leg and dislocated ankle is topical again for two reasons – the Croatian striker returned to first-team action this week while the anniversary of that fateful incident falls on Monday.

It was no surprise therefore that Wenger was asked for his thoughts on the issue at his pre-match press conference on Friday. The Frenchman admitted that the injury had left mental – as well as physical – scars, but insisted that it was time to move on.

“I’ve not known a worse injury than the one to Eduardo,” said Wenger.

“I would not have said in that period [last year] that Eduardo would have come back at this level. That’s why I have said that ‘OK, he has an injury again now but the most important thing is that he has convinced everybody that he can play football again’.

“At that time, I did not believe 100 per cent that he would come back to play in the Premier League.

“I think it is better that you don’t show him anything any more [footage of the tackle which caused the injury].

“It is difficult to avoid any controversy because now they start with Martin Taylor again. But I think it is best to forget it, for Martin Taylor, for Eduardo, for everybody, it is best to forget about it.”

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source 20 Feb 2009