By Nik Brumsack
Arsène Wenger insists he found it tough to leave Carl Jenkinson out of the starting line-up on Saturday - and says he has made major progress since signing from Charlton Athletic.
The 20-year-old missed his first Premier League game of the season against QPR on Saturday as Wenger opted to deploy the fit-again Bacary Sagna at right back.
The boss says coming to that decision was difficult because of Jenkinson’s fine form so far this term.
“It was a tough decision, very tough,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “The team was a bit low in confidence and I felt experience at the back could help. Of course Bacary Sagna has an advantage on Jenkinson in experience.
“But I am very, very happy and thrilled with what Jenkinson has done until now and he will play again this season of course.
“It was a difficult decision, but I would like to give credit to Carl. What he has done is extremely promising and he is so young, so where he is now at his age now is fantastic. Two years ago he was playing in League One, and where he is now is fantastic.”
Watch the full interview with the boss on Arsenal Player now.
Join the conversation on Twitter: #RFCvAFCCopyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source 29 Oct 2012