By Chris Harris
Johan Djourou has no doubt that Arsenal can peg back Chelsea - because they bridged an even bigger gap last season.
Arsène Wenger's side trailed the champions by 11 points after suffering a home defeat to their London rivals last November but recovered to top the Premier League less than two months later.
Arsenal have another sizeable task on their hands after losing 2-0 at Stamford Bridge last week to slip seven points behind Chelsea. But Djourou expects the Gunners to chip away at the champions' lead in the weeks to come.
"There is still a long way to go in the Premier League," he told Arsenal TV Online. "We are still in October and it's just the beginning.
"It's true we would rather be on top than further down but things will happen and hopefully we can pick up points from now on. If you look at last year we were 11 points behind [and we came back].
"We need to understand that the Premier League season is very long. Chelsea are going to drop points and so are we, so we just need to be focused on every single game and make the most of our chances."
Subscribers can now watch the full interview with Johan on Arsenal TV Online. He discusses:
- getting close to a Switzerland recall
- the incentive of playing at Wembley in June
- his injury-hit compatriot Philippe Senderos
- what he's been working on in training
- training without the internationals
- the post-Chelsea gloom
- the difference between the two sides
- bridging the gap in the title race
- the visit of Birmingham on Saturday