By Richard Clarke
Arsène Wenger will revert to type when his side start their Carling Cup campaign against West Brom at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.
The Arsenal manager has traditionally fielded the younger players in his squad for this competition and he’ll be doing that once again for the visit of the Championship leaders.
Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny is set for his debut and Carlos Vela will play his first game of the season after an ankle injury.
There will be significant experience at centre back, where Philippe Senderos is expected to play his first game for the Gunners since May 2008, but otherwise Arsenal will be young once more.
“You will see Wojciech Szczesny, Ramsey, Gibbs, Wilshere and certainly Vela,” said Wenger. “Traore will play.
“Some experienced players will guide the team like Senderos and Silvestre. But overall it will be a very, very young team as usual.”
Arsenal TV Online subscribers can see the full interview on Tuesday morning. In it the manager discusses:
- the return of Philippe Senderos
- his part in the side this season
- Jack Wilshere’s first year in the limelight
- Aaron Ramsey’s step up in class
- Arsenal’s proud home record in the Carling Cup
- the Youth Cup winners who may feature
- West Brom’s flying start in the Championship
- the re-emergence of Jerome Thomas
- the win over Wigan