Flashback: Tottenham 1-2 Arsenal - 1987

[IMG: 40674 title="David Rocastle scores the winner against Tottenham at White Hart Lane - 1987" alt="David Rocastle scores the winner against Tottenham at White Hart Lane - 1987" width="510" height="250" align="center"]

David Rocastle scores the winner against Tottenham at White Hart Lane - 1987

Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Arsenal
Littlewoods Cup Semi-Final Replay
White Hart Lane 
March 4, 1987

Scorers: Allen 61 (Tottenham), Allinson 82 (Arsenal), Rocastle 90 (Arsenal)

The Littlewoods Cup Semi Final of 1987 saw some of the most thrilling of all North London derbies.

Spurs won the first leg at Highbury 1-0 through a Clive Allen goal. Allen netted again after 16 minutes of the second leg but, after the break, Viv Anderson and Niall Quinn scored to force extra time and, ultimately, a replay.

After the second game a coin was tossed to decide the venue of the replay (as away goals did not count double). The first toss saw the coin stick upright in the mud. Spurs won the second toss and unsuprisingly chose to play the game at White Hart Lane.

The third game saw Allen strike again for Spurs. With eight minutes left, Arsenal looked finished. Then Ian Allinson tucked away a close-range effort and set up a furious final few minutes.

With time running out, a shot from Allinson rebounded into David Rocastle's path, who ran on to stroke Arsenal's winner past Ray Clemence. Arsenal had never been ahead in the 300-minute-long tie until that moment.

Arsenal manager George Graham, in his first season with the Club, hailed his heroes but admitted "I thought we were out this time."

Graham added: "This equals anything I achieved as a player and I hope it's just the start of a new era for this club. When I took over this season I wanted to build a platform for success. It's happened quicker than expected.

"I want this to be just the start. I'm so proud of my team. I told you on Sunday not to under-estimate them and they've proved it again.

"I didn't expect to come back this time, but I wasn't suprised. We are very resilient and have that wonderful never-say-die attitude. It's incredible to think how they have responded to me so quickly. I'm a new manager with a new system and they have accepted everything."

Double-winning captain Frank McLintock watched the final match: "Like us in the 1970s, they've [Arsenal] got players who hate to be beaten. I don't remember us losing when we were a goal up."

Arsenal went on to beat Liverpool 2-1 at Wembley in the Littlewood Cup Final.

With thanks to 'The Official Illustrated History of Arsenal'.

Arsenal: John Lukic, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, Michael Thomas (Ian Allinson), David O'Leary, Tony Adams, David, Rocastle, Paul Davis, Niall Quinn, Charlie Nicholas, Martin Hayes.

Tottenham Hotspur: Ray Clemence, Danny Thomas, Mitchell Thomas, Ozzie Ardiles, Richard Gough, Gary Mabbutt, Clive Allen, Paul Allen, Chris Waddle, Gary Stevens, Nico Claesen (Tony Galvin).

Attendance: 41,005

20 Sep 2010