Per Mertesacker became Arsène Wenger’s seventh signing of the summer when he joined the Club from Werder Bremen on Wednesday.
Here are ten facts you may not know about Arsenal’s new number 4:
- Per was born in Hannover on 29 September, 1984.
- Known for his great height, he stands at a lofty 6 feet 6 inches.
- Per made 142 league appearances in his five years at Werder Bremen, scoring 12 goals.
- He is also an established international for Germany, with 75 caps to his name.
- He made his debut for the national side under Jurgen Klinsmann against Iran in 2004.
- Per scored his one and only goal for Germany in a 2-1 Confederations Cup victory over Australia back in 2005.
- He scored a debut Champions League goal against Chelsea back in 2006.
- Per's boyhood club is Hannover 96, for whom he made 74 league appearances in three years.
- Per was dubbed 'the Defence Pole' by the German media upon breaking through into Hannover's first team.
- He has a clean reputation in Germany, picking up just one yellow and one red card in the last four Bundesliga seasons.