Arsène Wenger had no problem with
Cesc Fabregas and
Alex Hleb flying out to see Barcelona play Rangers on
The pair were rested from the Arsenal side that drew at Slavia Prague the same night and, in the circumstances, some were surprised to see them travelling so far. However their manager was unconcerned.
"Part of [omitting them] was just to get them out of
football," he said. "Sometimes it is better to leave a
player out [of the team] completely rather than putting him on to
bench so he gets a mental rest for a couple of days."
The presence of the 20-year-old midfielder prompted the Spanish media re-ignite stories of a move back to the Nou Camp. At his usual Friday press conference, Wenger did not so much slam the door shut on the story as triple lock it, put the bolt on and erect a watch-tower to ensure no-one came near again.
"This is no story," he said. "Fabregas is under contract with us. If Barcelona want to buy any player under contract then I'll give them my phone number. But I think they have it because they just bought Thierry Henry."
"Still would you be open to an offer?" enquired a journalist.
"No chance," Wenger replied.