Equal Opportunities Policy
Arsenal Football Club is committed to confront and eliminate discrimination, whether by reason of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Arsenal Football Club is an equal opportunities employer. We aim to act in a manner which ensures that our staff are able to achieve their full potential. We also aim to ensure that all employment decisions are taken without reference to irrelevant or discriminatory criteria.
Equality of opportunity means that in none of its activities will the Club discriminate against, or in any way treat less favourably, any person on grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment. This policy will be applicable to:
- the advertisement of jobs
- the selection of candidates for employment or promotion
- job location or working environment
- pay and employment terms and conditions
- internal training and development activities
- internal and external coaching and education activities and awards
- football development activities
The Club will not tolerate sexual or racially based harassment, or other discriminatory behaviour, whether physical or verbal. The Chief Executive Officer will ensure that such behaviour is met with appropriate disciplinary action whenever it occurs.
The Club supports the bodies of the Football Association and UEFA in their commitment to develop a programme of ongoing training and awareness raising events and activities in order to promote the eradication of discrimination within football.
At Emirates Stadium
At Arsenal we employ in excess of 700 stewards on a matchday and one of their primary roles is to monitor supporters language. Any so called supporter who persists in using racist language, which constitutes a criminal offence, faces being ejected and banned from the stadium. Every match day programme carries a warning about foul language and racist chanting and, if the situation dictates, we make extra announcements over our tannoy system as well as including extra reminders and warnings in our club publications.
Please see below the equality / diversity related terms and conditions applicable to ticket holders for Arsenal home and away matches.
The UEFA 10-Point Plan
UEFA have a 10 point plan that they want all European clubs to adopt in an attempt to eradicate racism in football. We are totally supportive of this plan and we believe that at Arsenal we already adhere to its principles through our current practices.
- Issue a statement saying the club will not tolerate racism, spelling out the action it will take against those engaged in racist chanting. The statement should be printed in all match programmes and displayed permanently and prominently around the ground.
- Make public address announcements condemning racist chanting at matches.
- Make it a condition for season-ticket holders that they do not take part in racist abuse.
- Take action to prevent the sale of racist literature inside and around the ground.
- Take disciplinary action against players who engage in racial abuse.
- Contact other clubs to make sure they understand the club's policy on racism.
- Encourage a common strategy between stewards and police for dealing with racist abuse.
- Remove all racist graffiti from the ground as a matter of urgency.
- Adopt an equal opportunities' policy in relation to employment and service provision.
- Work with all other groups and agencies, such as the players union, supporters, schools, voluntary organisations, youth clubs, sponsors, local authorities, local businesses and police, to develop pro-active programmes and make progress to raise awareness of campaigning to eliminate racial abuse and discrimination.