Arsenal fans are basking in the afterglow of Tuesday night's stunning comeback at Reading - but was it the Club's finest ever?

The Gunners had never recovered from a four-goal deficit to win a game but that changed at the Madejski Stadium thanks largely to Theo Walcott's hat-trick and Marouane Chamakh's brace.

So how does Tuesday's Capital One Cup tie rank alongside other famous Arsenal comebacks? Take a look at the six featured below and visit to tell us your favourite.

Premier League
Emirates Stadium
February 26, 2012

A derby day to remember. Arsenal were in the mire after 40 minutes of this north London encounter - two goals down and in danger of falling 13 points behind Tottenham in the race for a top-four place. But they put the disappointment of back-to-back defeats in the FA Cup and Champions League behind them to launch a stirring recovery and turn the derby on its head. Bacary Sagna's powerful header and Robin van Persie's superb curler levelled the scores before half-time and Arsenal were rampant after the break. The outstanding Tomas Rosicky poked them ahead and Theo Walcott, after struggling in the first half, came alive to net twice and send the Emirates into raptures.

11/12: Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham Hotspur - Tomas Rosicky


Premier League
Reebok Stadium
March 29, 2008

Arsenal were in all sorts of trouble at half-time at the Reebok Stadium thanks to two Bolton goals and a red card for midfielder Abou Diaby, but the 10 men regrouped and came on strong in the second half. William Gallas pulled a goal back after 62 minutes from close range and Arsenal were level six minutes later when Robin van Persie hammered home a spot-kick. Fatigue crept in and Bolton looked like holding on, but the 10 men snatched all three points in the final minute when Cesc Fabregas' shot was deflected in off Jlloyd Samuel. It was Arsenal first league win at the Reebok since 2002, and came on the back of a five-game winless streak.

Cesc Fabregas scores against Bolton in 2008

FA Cup semi-final
March 27, 1971

The title run-in was tense and nerves were frayed when Liverpool took an extra-time lead at Wembley. But Arsenal were never so close to throwing away their chance of a first Double as they were in the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough on March 27, 1971. Stoke City looked to have the Gunners' number when they led 2-0 in Sheffield. Then came the turning point as Jimmy Greenhoff fluffed a golden chance to put his side three ahead before half time. Arsenal were down but, thanks to Greenhoff, they weren't quite out. Peter Storey hammered in from 20 yards to halve the deficit and then saved Arsenal in stoppage time from the penalty spot after John Mahoney's handball. Storey had the unenviable task of beating England legend Gordon Banks from 12 yards to keep Arsenal's Double dream alive but he sent him the wrong way, Arsenal salvaged a draw and went on to win the replay. The rest, as they say, is history.

Peter Storey scores a penalty against Stoke City - FA Cup Semi-Final 1971

Fairs Cup final
April 28, 1970

After 17 years without a trophy, the glory days returned to Highbury with a dramatic victory in the 1970 Fairs Cup Final. Bertie Mee's side looked down and out after slumping to a three-goal deficit in the first leg in Belgium, but a late header from Ray Kennedy gave them hope. Frank McLintock's post-match rallying call lifted spirits and they were an irresistible force in the second leg six days later. Eddie Kelly's early goal was the perfect tonic and John Radford levelled it up on aggregate with a second-half header. Arsenal had the edge but Anderlecht hit the post before Jon Sammels made it 3-0 on the night and 4-3 on aggregate with a fierce low finish.

Fairs Cup Final 1970 2nd leg - Arsenal 3-0 Anderlecht - Radford goal

Division One
White Hart Lane
October 6, 1962

One of the very few occasions when Arsenal have managed to pull back a three-goal deficit was in another north London derby against Tottenham. In a Division One fixture in October 1962, the Gunners found themselves 3-0 down after 26 minutes at White Hart Lane. Step forward David Court. The Club's current assistant head of youth development was only 18 - and had played just twice for Arsenal - but he struck twice to help the visitors claw it back to 3-2. Spurs reestablished some control and extended their lead to 4-2 but Arsenal netted twice to make it 4-4 at full-time.

Tottenham Hotspur 4-4 Arsenal - 1962

FA Cup third round
Emirates Stadium
January 9, 2012

OK, so this isn't a 'comeback' in the team sense. But it warrants a mention because Thierry Henry's return to the Club captivated Arsenal fans all over the world - and provided a very special memory for those at Emirates Stadium on January 9, 2012. Henry had left Arsenal in the summer of 2007 after a record 226 goals for Arsène Wenger's side. Yet here he was, nearly five years later, pulling on the red-and-white shirt for an FA Cup tie against Leeds United. The roar that greeted his arrival after 68 minutes was spine-tingling. Ten minutes later, Henry rolled back the years with a trademark clinical finish from Alex Song's pass. It was the matchwinner, and a moment to savour.

Thierry Henry

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
31 Oct 2012