Arsenal take on Olympiacos in the Champions League at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.
With Stats Zone, you can brush up on the facts and figures behind every Gunners match this season, brought to you by Opta and the Official Matchday Programme.
In this week's edition, we focus on Arsenal's record against Greek clubs in Europe and compare Abou Diaby to Aaron Ramsey.
ON SONG IN EUROPE - ARSENAL'S RECORD
- This will be Arsenal's 15th game against Greek opposition in Europe, and Figure 1 indicates the Club's strong record
- Gervinho became the 100th Arsenal player to score in European competition when he netted against Montpellier on September 18. He is one of 41 players to have only scored once, as Figure 2 shows
- Meanwhile, Santi Cazorla, Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski took the overall number of players to represent Arsenal in European competition to 200. Of these, 24 have played just once (Fig.2)
PLAYER COMPARISON - DIABY v RAMSEY
With Abou Diaby ruled out for the next three weeks with a thigh strain, Aaron Ramsey is the likely relacement for the Frenchman. It is not quite a like-for-like change, but the Wales captain's impressive stats so far this season indicate that he will dovetail nicely with Mikel Arteta and Santi Cazorla in his natural central midfield position.
Diaby has won plaudits for his impressive start to the season, and the 26-year-old has certainly caught the eye with a series of eye-catching displays, most notably against Liverpool. The France international has attempted 275 passes, of which 86.2 per cent were completed successfully. And in the opposition's half, he has an excellent 84 per cent passing success rate.
Ramsey, meanwhile, has started less games than Diaby and, when he has got his chance, has found himself stationed out on the right flank rather than in the middle. But the 21-year-old has made the most of his chances, and has been in similarly impressive form to Diaby. In fact, he has a superior pass success rate of 89.9 per cent of the 188 passes he has attempted, and while this drops to 82.4 per cent of those attempted in the opposition's half, it remains more than respectable.
It all suggests that while Diaby's size, power and technique will be missed, Wenger has an excellent replacement to call on in Ramsey.
- Since losing to Inter in 2003, Arsenal have only lost two out of 42 Champions League home games and those were against other English teams
- Arsenal have met Olympiacos in the Group Stages in two of the last three seasons, winning both previous home games and losing both previous trips to Greece
- The Gunners have never lost at home to Greek opposition in Europe, winning five and drawing two games
- Marouane Chamakh scored in eight out of nine Champions League games prior to his current run of 11 appearances in the competition without a goal
- Olympiacos have only won three of their 56 away Champions League/European Cup matches, losing 43
- Olympiacos have lost all 10 European game away from home in England, with the goal they netted on their last visit to the Emirates being only their second in those 10 games
- Lukas Podolski has scored three goals in his last two Champions League appearances
The Matchday Programme is now available on the iPad! Find out more here.Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source