On the performance…
"I believe it was a game of quality with two teams who gave absolutely everything. We were playing against a good side and needed to show a lot of character to come back. I knew we wouldn't give up and we kept fighting until the last second, but you couldn't predict that we would score in injury time. I knew we would give everything. There is a lot of character in the team and we showed that again tonight."

On avoiding defeat …
"It was very important not to lose, and to keep our run going is vital. It was a game where I felt we went 1-0l down at a time we didn't expect to. We didn't give many chances away and had to gamble much more when you are 1-0 down. We had to go for more up front but I am very happy with our defensive performance for 99 per cent of the game."

On Robin van Persie's rich vein of form …
"It was an exceptional finish, and when you see him on his left leg like that you always think if it doesn't hit the keeper it will be a goal."

On losing ground on teams above them…
"A point is never enough because we always play for three, but it was a difficult tonight and I maintain what I said yesterday; for me Everton is as much a threat for us as Aston Villa. Everton are a good side."

On Everton's goalscorer …
"Cahill is a fantastic player, tactically very good and also very intelligent. You look at all the defenders in the league and they are a head above him, but he always pops up with a header. He has something you cannot give to everybody - he knows where to be on the football pitch."

On Andrei Ashavin…

"There is nothing new, because today I have been focused on the game, and I did not pick up any phone calls so nothing has happened. It was 90 per cent that I will be able to give you more in the next two days. Remember in this job the other 10 per cent can be more important than the other 90 because people can change their mind quickly."

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source 28 Jan 2009