By Joe Brewin

Arsène Wenger is confident his side will challenge for the title this season - and says they are well ahead of last summer’s preparations.

Wenger has already signed established internationals Lukas Podolski, Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla, and watched his side finish their pre-season schedule with a 4-0 win over FC Cologne on Sunday.

Arsenal recovered after a difficult start to finish third last season and Wenger believes they have the same desire to fight for honours this time around.

“We are in a much stronger position now because last summer we lost Nasri and Fabregas, and on top of that we lost Diaby and Wilshere [to injury],” he told Arsenal Player. “So we lost four players at the start of last season and that is not the case this time.

“We want to [compete for honours] and we have a desire to. We are up for it and what we want is to come out of the season and know we have given our best. I feel we did that last year, finishing third with the start we had.

“The first target is to do as well as we can in every single game and see where we stand at the end of the season. But of course we want to fight for the championship.”

Watch the full interview with the boss on Arsenal Player.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source 13 Aug 2012