Arsenal face Liverpool in the Premier League at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.
With Stats Zone, you can brush up on the facts and figures behind every Gunners match this season, brought to you by Opta and the Official Matchday Programme.
PREMIER LEAGUE SHARP SHOOTERS
A GAME OF TWO HALVES
TAKING CENTRE STAGE - DIABY v LIVERPOOL
When Arsenal visited Anfield in early September, one of the stars of the show was Abou Diaby. The France international had only played four times the previous season, yet delivered an energetic, driving performance from deep that left Arsène Wenger purring afterwards. "You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield," the manager said.
Diaby and Mikel Arteta played a hugely important role at Anfield, sitting deep to deny Liverpool space between the lines. The 26-year-old's ability to glide through midfield on the counter was also vital to Arsenal's 2-0 victory and as our heatmap and chalboard above shows, he was able to burst forward on numerous occasions to good effect. By acting as an extra midfield runner, he caused major problems for the Liverpool defence and much of Arsenal's direct attacking moves went through the Frenchman and Santi Cazorla.
Having played the full 90 minutes at Brighton on Saturday, Wenger has a difficult choice on whether to include Diaby again on Wednesday night. But if he is included, the manager will be hoping for more of the same from a player he sees as the "complete midfielder".
ARSENAL v LIVERPOOL - MATCH FACTS
- Arsenal have lost only one of their last 11 Premier League meetings with Liverpool, but six of these games have also ended in a draw (W4 D6 L1)
- Liverpool have won eight points in their last 12 Premier League away games at Arsenal (W1 D5 L6)
- No side has won more Premier League away games at Arsenal than Liverpool (6, alongside Manchester United)
- Liverpool have averaged the highest possession in the Premier League so far this season (59.4 per cent)
- Of players to have attempted at least 30 shots (excluding blocked) in the Premier League this season, Theo Walcott (31.3 per cent) has the best shot conversion rate
- Lukas Podolski tops the Premier League assist charts with nine this season following three in his last appearance against West Ham; the first player to assist three in a single Premier League game since Steven Pienaar in April 2012
- The Emirates has witnessed more goals than any other Premier League stadium this season (46)
- Luis Suarez has created more goalscoring chances from open play than any other player in the top five European leagues this season (61)
- Santi Cazorla has delivered 15 through balls in the Premier League this season, no other player has delivered more than eight
- There have been seven goals scored in the 90th minute or later in the last eight Premier League meetings between Arsenal and Liverpool
Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source