Arsenal face West Ham United in the Premier League at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday. With Stats Zone, you can brush up on the facts and figures behind every Gunners match this season, brought to you by Opta and the Official Matchday Programme.
ENGLAND EXPECTS - GOALS PER SEASON
Each of Arsenal's last three goals were scored by Englishmen, and throughout the season 29.4 per cent of the Gunners' goals have been scored by English players. It is the highest ratio since 1997/98.
WONDER WAL - THEO'S ARSENAL STATS
Theo Walcott signed a new long-term contract with the Gunners last week. Below are his Arsenal career stats to date. (Key: Red - Starts; Gold - As Sub; Silver - Goals; Blue - Assists)
CENTRAL ROLE - CAZORLA'S INFLUENCE
When Arsenal beat West Ham at Upton Park in October, one man was at the heart of the action: Santi Cazorla. The Spain international was in superb form, particularly in the second half when he played in the lines between West Ham's midfield and defence and helped inspire an Arsenal victory.
As our first heatmap above demonstrate, Cazorla spent lengthy periods of the opening 45 minutes pushed out wide to receive the ball and this had a detrimental effect on his overall influence. With the score locked at 1-1 at the interval, a subtle shift saw the Spaniard stationed slightly deeper, but more centrally for the second half (heatmap two). This proved as essential ingredient to Arsenal's improved showing after the restart as they eventually ran out 3-1 winners.
Cazorla used the space he found in the central areas to good effect, taking six shots on goal and scoring with a 30-yard drive into the top corner. It capped off a memorable performance, and Arsène Wenger will be hoping for more of the same from the Spanish schemer tonight.
ARSENAL v WEST HAM - MATCH FACTS
- Arsenal have won eight and lost none of the last 10 matches in all competitions against West Ham
- The Hammers have failed to score in seven of the last nine Premier League games against the Gunners
- West Ham were the last visiting team to win a Premier League game at Highbury and the first to win at the Emirates
- Arsenal have scored in the 41st and 77th minutes in each of their last two matches against West Ham
- There have been four penalties in the last five Premier League meetings between Arsenal and West Ham
- Sam Allardyce has led a team to eight Premier League games away to Arsenal, and although he has never won (W0 D3 L5), his teams have only failed to score in one of those eight visits
- Only Liverpool and Man Utd (six each) have won away at Arsenal more often in the Premier League era than West Ham (4)
- Arsenal have lost consecutive games in the Premier League for the first time since last January when they lost all three of their games in the month
- Theo Walcott has been involved in five of Arsenal's last six Premier League goals (three goals, two assists) and has scored 11 in his last 15 appearances for Arsenal (in all competitions)
- West Ham have won just one of their last seven games in the Premier League (W1 D2 L4), while away from home, they’ve collected just one point in their last five trips (D1 L4)
Have your say on Twitter!
Join the conversation on the big game at #AFCvWHU