Our latest winner of the Young Reporter competition is JG Joe, who wrote a great match report of the Premier League match against QPR.

Arsenal secured a crucial victory in traditional fashion at home to QPR, winning by a single Mikel Arteta goal late on. After a difficult week for the club it was essential for the team to get back to winning ways, and that they did with what could prove to be a significant home win. The afternoon also saw the welcome returns of Bacary Sagna and Jack Wilshere, meaning the Arsenal fans could head for the Emirates’ exits with broad smiles on their faces.

The home side made an encouraging start to the game. Wilshere himself was involved early on when he drilled the ball across the six-yard box, but no man in a red and white shirt was able to get on the end of it. Several other half chances were created but the Gunners struggled to muster up any real, clear cut chances. Aaron Ramsey saw a header hit the top of the crossbar, but even that was not a clear opening. QPR did not pose much of a threat at the other end either, meaning the opening half fizzled out and remained at 0-0.

Once the second period was underway, the game truly burst into life. Arsenal began to take full control and set up camp in the visitors’ penalty box. The best chance of the game fell to the newly crowned Player of the Month, Santi Cazorla, but his golden opportunity was wasted as he fired high over the bar. Minutes later came a key turning point. Stephane M’Bia lashed at Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen and was rightly shown the red card, reducing QPR to 10 men. Arsenal did not take long to make their numerical advantage count. Just four minutes later, a breakthrough was finally found. Substitute Andrey Arshavin put in a brilliant cross from the left hand side, which Olivier Giroud headed towards goal. His effort was saved, but Mikel Arteta was right on the scene to have another attempt, and this one hit the crossbar! The ball then fell right onto the left foot of Arsenal’s number 8 and he smashed the ball home to finally break the deadlock. The Emirates Stadium was then set alight, as 60,000 people let out a deafening roar. Arsenal then showed guts and determination to hold onto their lead and secure a precious 3 points ahead of the trip to Old Trafford next weekend. 

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source
23 Aug 2012