Arsenal Football Club, Islington Council, and Newlon Housing have established the Arsenal Regeneration Team (ART) to harness the social and economic regeneration opportunities arising from the Arsenal Development Scheme in a way that reflects the hopes and desires of local people. Therefore, ART is actively seeking the involvement and views of local people, voluntary organisations, and businesses in the regeneration of the area.
Councillor Laura Willoughby, Executive Member for Communities says:
"What's really important is that local people get involved now, whilst the development is underway, so that opportunities are grasped and the benefits meet local people's aspirations. To do this, I urge you to find out more by making contact with the Arsenal Regeneration Team. This is a golden opportunity for us to swiftly change a few things around here for the better and we don't want to miss it."
The Team also receives financial support for its costs and initiatives from the Islington Strategic Partnership and the London Development Agency.
ART's role and programme of projects includes:
- Publicising the benefits of the Arsenal Development Scheme to local people and businesses. ART and AFC have jointly published the first edition of a biannual newsletter.
- Establishing the practical framework to maximise the benefits from the £500,000 community development money provided by AFC as a result of the development and to encourage local people to make suggestions as to how this money should be spent.
- Assisting in identifying local tenant and resident groups and business organisations who want to be represented on the Consultative Forum that will work with AFC, Islington Council, the Police and Transport for London to consider the environmental impact in the new stadium area on match days.
- Working on an Urban Space Strategy to animate the podium space around the Emirates Stadium and maximise cultural business activities and community use. ART wants to ensure that the podium is a safe, family friendly, vibrant, and pleasant environment for local people and visitors every day of the week.
- Looking to identify the types of businesses and organisations that will benefit the local area by occupying some of the 33,000 sq m of new commercial space.
- A collaboration with the London Urban Collective to promote local hip-hop talent. This will lead to the production of an album and launch at the Carling Academy Islington on 9th December 2004.
- A project with AFC to train young people to FA Coaching Level 2 and gain work experience in AFC's Community Programme
- A project with Groundwork Camden and Islington to set up a community-based recycling business
- A project to develop derelict space within the Arsenal Development Area into managed workspace units for community-based SMEs
- Working with the Arsenal Workplace Co-ordinator to assist local people of all ages to access employment in the construction industry, primarily within the Arsenal Development Area, as part of the Building London Creating Futures Project.
- Working with Islington Council's Enterprise Culture Initiative which will provide additional business support, business training and skills development to new and existing businesses and social enterprises across the regeneration sites in the borough i.e. Kings Cross to Arsenal Development Scheme to Finsbury Park.