Football historian LEIGH EDWARDS profiles every Arsenal player from 60 post-war League seasons.

Danish International midfielder John Jensen starred in Arsenal's 1993 FA Cup final triumph. Starting with Brondby, he helped them win the Danish League title and reach the Danish Cup final in 1986/87. He spent two seasons with Hamburg prior to rejoining Brondby in 1990 and scored in Denmark's 1992 European Championship final success. George Graham bought him in August 1992 and he was unlucky to miss the Gunners' 1993 Coca-Cola Cup final success as well as two ECWC finals. He scored once in 98 Premiership games before returning to Brondby in March 1996, since coaching Herfolge and Brondby.

Scottish striker George Johnston helped Arsenal reach the League Cup final for the first time in 1968. Initially with Maryhill Harp, he joined Cardiff City in May 1964 and was leading marksman as they were League Cup semi-finalists in 1965/66. Bertie Mee paid £30,000 for him in March 1967 and he netted three goals in 21 First Division games for Arsenal before being sold to Birmingham City for £15,000 in May 1969. He was a promotion winner with Fulham in 1970/71, then Hereford United in 1972/73 and later played for Newport County. Settling back in Cardiff, he now works for a marine engineering company.

Welsh International inside-forward Bryn Jones played for Arsenal either side of the Second World War. From a footballing family, he played for Glenavon and Aberaman prior to joining Wolves in November 1933. He starred as they were League Championship runners-up in 1937/38 and moved to Highbury for a then record £14,000 in August 1938. Serving in the Royal Artillery during the war, he featured in Arsenal's 1947/48 League Championship campaign and netted seven goals in 71 First Division games before joining Norwich City in June 1949. He was a newsagent in Stoke Newington for 28 years and died in October 1985.

Iceland International midfielder Siggi Jonsson was a member of Arsenal's 1990/91 League Championship squad. He helped Akranes twice win the Icelandic League title prior to joining Sheffield Wednesday in January 1985. George Graham paid £475,000 for him in July 1989 and his only goal in eight League games came in Arsenal's 3-0 victory at home to QPR four months later. A back injury appeared to end his career in January 1992 but he subsequently played for Akranes again, Orebro, Dundee United and Hafnarfjarder, gaining a total of 66 caps. He has since managed Hafnarfjarder, Vikingur, Grindavik and now Djurgardens in Sweden. 

England International centre-half Bernard Joy played for Arsenal either side of the Second World War. A schoolmaster at Hounslow, he had spells with Southend United, Fulham and helped Corinthian Casuals win the Amateur Cup shortly before joining Arsenal in May 1935. He was the last amateur to gain an England cap against Belgium in May 1936. Featuring in the Gunners' 1937/38 League Championship success and two War Cup finals, he made 86 League appearances prior to rejoining Corinthian Casuals in December 1946. Later a journalist with the Evening Standard and Sunday Express, he died in Kenton in July 1984. 

Centre-forward Len Julians helped Arsenal finish third in the top-flight in 1958/59. A former Spurs junior, he played for Leytonstone, then was top scorer in Walthamstow's 1954/55 Isthmian League title triumph. He joined Leyton Orient in June 1955 and helped win the Third Division (South) title in 1955/56, moving to Arsenal in exchange for Stan Charlton and Tony Biggs in December 1958. Scoring seven times in 18 League games before joining Nottingham Forest for £10,000 in May 1960, he joined Millwall in January 1964 and twice won promotion, then played for Detroit Cougars. He died in Southend in December 1993.

Former Scotland amateur International inside-left Peter Kane briefly played for Arsenal in the top-flight during the 1960/61 campaign. Initially with Petershill, he had spells with Hamilton and Queen's Park prior to joining Northampton Town in October 1959. He moved to Highbury for £7,000 in July 1960 and his solitary goal in four League games came in Arsenal's 2-0 win at home to Birmingham two months later. Helping the reserves win the Football Combination title in 1962/63, he rejoined Northampton for £3,500 in September 1963. He later played for Crewe Alexandra,
St Mirren and Clydebank, settling back in Scotland.

Nigerian International striker Kanu featured in Arsenal's 2001/02 'double' success. He impressed with Iwuanyanwu National, then starred for Ajax and Inter Milan before Arsène Wenger bought him in February 1999. Scoring in Arsenal's 1999 FA Charity Shield triumph, he played in two consecutive FA Cup finals and was a member of the 2003 FA Cup winning squad. He regularly appeared as substitute and featured in the Gunners' record-breaking 2003/04 Premiership title campaign. Scoring 30 times in 119 Premiership games for Arsenal, he joined West Brom in July 2004 and moved to Portsmouth in July 2006.

Young right-back John Kay helped Arsenal win the Football Combination title in 1983/84. Signing professional at Highbury in July 1981, he made his League debut in Arsenal's 0-0 draw at West Brom in February 1983 and played 14 First Division games prior to joining Wimbledon for £25,000 in July 1984. He featured in their 1985/86 promotion campaign and moved to Sunderland in July 1987, starring in their rise to the top-flight. Also helping them reach the 1992 FA Cup final, he joined Preston in August 1996, then played for Scarborough and Workington. He has since coached youth football in the North-East.

Scotland U-23 midfielder Eddie Kelly starred in Arsenal's 1970/71 'double' success, scoring in the FA Cup final. Initially with Possilpark YMCA, he signed professional at Highbury in February 1968 and scored in Arsenal's 1970 Fairs Cup final triumph. He netted 13 goals in 175 League games prior to joining QPR for £60,000 in September 1976, then followed Frank McLintock to Leicester City in July 1977 and skippered their 1979/80 Second Division title triumph. Also a promotion winner with Notts County in 1980-81, Bournemouth in 1981/82 and Leicester in 1982/83, he later played for Torquay and now lives in Paignton.

Inside-forward Noel Kelly was capped by Republic of Ireland after leaving Arsenal. He impressed with Shamrock Rovers and Glentoran before moving to Highbury in September 1947. His solitary First Division appearance for Arsenal was in the 1-0 win at Everton in February 1950 and he followed Ronnie Rooke to Crystal Palace the following month. He joined Nottingham Forest in August 1951 and gained his only cap against Luxembourg in March 1954. Moving to Tranmere in July 1955, he became their player-boss, then managed Ellesmere Port and Holyhead. He ran a sports shop in Bromborough and died in August 1991.

Welsh International goalkeeper Jack Kelsey was capped 41 times while at Arsenal. Initially with Winch Wen, he joined the Gunners in August 1949 and made his League debut in the 5-2 defeat by Charlton Athletic in February 1951. He starred in Arsenal's 1952/53 League Championship success and played for London in the 1956 Fairs Cup final. Making 327 First Division appearances for the Gunners, he suffered a back injury playing for Wales against Brazil in the 1962 World Cup and was forced to retire. He had a testimonial in May 1963, then was Arsenal's Commercial Manager until October 1989 and died in March 1992.

England U-23 striker Ray Kennedy was leading marksman in Arsenal's 1970/71 'double' success. Rejected by Port Vale, he signed professional for the Gunners in November 1968 and helped win the Fairs Cup in 1970. He also featured in the 1972 FA Cup final, netting 53 goals in 158 First Division games before being sold to Liverpool for £200,000 in July 1974. Switched to midfield, he amassed a vast collection of honours at Anfield, including 17 England caps. He joined Swansea City in January 1982, then played for Hartlepool and has settled in Whitley Bay. Now suffering from Parkinson's disease, he had a testimonial in April 1991.

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
30 Nov 2006