Football historian LEIGH EDWARDS profiles every Arsenal player from 60 post-war League seasons

Outside-left Alf Calverley played for Arsenal during the 1946/47 campaign. Initially with hometown Huddersfield, he guested for several clubs during the Second World War prior to joining Mansfield Town in June 1946. He moved to Highbury for £2,500 in March 1947 and made 11 First Division appearances for Arsenal before being sold to Preston North End for £1,500 four months later. Joining Doncaster Rovers for £4,000 in December 1947, he was an influential figure in their 1949/50 Third Division (North) title triumph but injury problems curtailed his playing career in December 1952. He died in Sheffield in October 1991.

England U-21 striker Kevin Campbell featured in Arsenal's 1990/91 League Championship success. Signing professional at Highbury in February 1988, he grabbed a hat-trick in that season's FA Youth Cup final triumph and was an influential figure as Arsenal won both the FA Cup and Coca-Cola Cup in 1993, then the ECWC in 1994. He netted 46 goals in 146 League games for the Gunners before being sold to Nottingham Forest for £3,000,000 in July 1995, starring in their 1997/98 First Division title triumph. Moving via Trabzonspor to Everton in March 1999, he has since played for West Brom and Cardiff City.

England international central defender Sol Campbell scored for Arsenal in the 2006 Champions League final. He turned professional with Tottenham Hotspur in September 1992 and was ever-present in 1996/97, starring as they won the Worthington Cup in 1999. Joining Arsenal on a Bosman free transfer in July 2001, he was an important figure in the 2001/02 'double' success, also helping the Gunners win the Premiership title in 2003/04 and FA Cup the following season. He gained 29 of his 69 England caps whilst at Highbury, netting eight goals in 135 Premiership games for Arsenal before moving to Portsmouth in August 2006.

Winger Jimmy Carter was a member of Arsenal's squad that won both the FA Cup and Coca-Cola Cup in 1992/93. Initially with Crystal Palace, he moved via QPR to Millwall for £15,000 in March 1987 and starred in their 1987/88 Second Division title triumph. He joined Liverpool for £800,000 in January 1991 and George Graham paid £500,000 for him nine months later. Scoring twice in 25 League games for the Gunners, he was loaned to Oxford United before joining Portsmouth in July 1995 and rejoined Millwall in July 1998 where a back injury ended his career. He is now a property investor based in Crieff, Scotland.

England U-21 international Tommy Caton played alongside David O'Leary in the heart of Arsenal's defence. A former Manchester City apprentice, he made his First Division debut as a 16 year-old in August 1979 and was ever-present in 1979/80. He featured in two FA Youth Cup finals and the 1981 FA Cup final, moving to Arsenal for £500,000 in December 1983. Scoring twice in 81 First Division games, he was sold to Oxford United for £180,000 in January 1987 and joined Charlton Athletic for £100,000 in November 1988 where a foot injury ended his playing career. He tragically died of a heart-attack in April 1993.

Ex-England Schoolboy midfielder Brian Chambers played for Arsenal during the 1973/74 campaign. Signing professional for Sunderland in August 1967, he moved to Highbury for £30,000 in May 1973 and his solitary First Division appearance was in Arsenal's 1-0 win at home to Birmingham City five months later. He joined Luton Town for £30,000 in July 1974, then moved to Millwall for £25,000 in July 1977 and featured in their 1977/78 FA Cup run. Later with Bournemouth, Halifax, Poole, Salisbury, Dorchester, Swanage and Poole's player-boss, he is now a financial consultant with Allied Dunbar in Bournemouth.

England U-21 striker Lee Chapman played for Arsenal in the 1982/83 FA Cup semi-final. The son of Roy Chapman, he turned professional with Stoke City in June 1978 and was twice top scorer prior to joining Arsenal in August 1982. He netted four goals in 23 League games before being sold to Sunderland for £100,000 in December 1983, then played for Sheffield Wednesday, Niort (France)?and Nottingham Forest before moving to Leeds United in January 1990. Top scorer in their 1991/92 League Championship success, he then played for Portsmouth, West Ham, Ipswich and Swansea. He runs Teatro winebar in Soho.

Versatile Welsh international Mel Charles was capped six times whilst at Arsenal. The younger brother of John Charles, he signed professional for hometown Swansea in May 1952 and played in two Welsh Cup finals, helping Wales to reach the World Cup quarter-finals in 1958. He joined Arsenal for £42,750 plus Dave Dodson and Peter Davies in March 1959, scoring 26 goals in 60 First Division games before being sold to Cardiff City for £28,500 in February 1962. Later with Portmadoc, Port Vale and Haverfordwest, he had business interests in Swansea, where he still lives. His son Jeremy was also a Welsh international.

Ex-England Amateur international right-back Stan Charlton missed just two games for Arsenal in 1956/57. The son of the former Exeter City full-back of the same name, he starred for Bromley prior to joining Leyton Orient in July 1952. He was twice ever-present for the O's before moving to Highbury with Vic Groves in a joint £30,000 deal in October 1955. Making 99 First Division appearances for Arsenal, he rejoined Orient in December 1958 and skippered them to the top-flight in 1961/62. He became Weymouth's player-boss in May 1965, then a district manager for a major pools company and Weymouth's secretary.

Full-back John Chenhall featured in Arsenal's 1952/53 League Championship success. He had a spell with Maidenhead United before turning professional at Highbury in November 1945 and helped the reserves win the Football Combination in 1950/51. Given his League debut in Arsenal's 3-1 win at Charlton in October 1951, he provided cover for Joe Wade and Lionel Smith, making 16 First Division appearances and helping to win the Football Combination Cup shortly before joining Fulham in July 1953. He was ever-present in 1953/54 and moved to Guildford City in July 1958, then ran his own car business and now lives in Bristol.

Former England international wing-half Eddie Clamp was George Swindin's last major signing for Arsenal. Turning professional with Wolves in April 1952, he starred as they won the League Championship in two consecutive seasons and the FA Cup in 1960. He moved to Arsenal for £34,500 in November 1961 and briefly played under former Wolves team-mate Billy Wright at Highbury, scoring once in 22 First Division games before being sold to Stoke City for £14,000 in September 1962. Later with Peterborough United, Worcester and Lower Gornal, he was a self-employed builder in Wednesfield and died in November 1995.

England international outside-right Danny Clapton featured prominently as Arsenal finished third in the top-flight in 1958/59. He played for Leytonstone before turning professional at Highbury in August 1953 and made his League debut in Arsenal's 1-0 victory at home to Chelsea on Christmas Day 1954. Helping reach the FA Cup sixth round in two consecutive seasons, he represented the Football League and netted 25 goals in 207 First Division games for the Gunners before joining Luton Town for £6,000 in September 1962. He played for Corinthians in Australia, then was a publican in Hackney until his death in June 1986.


Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
20 Sep 2006