Football historian LEIGH EDWARDS profiles every Arsenal player from 60 post-war League seasons.

Ex-England Schoolboy forward Roy Goulden helped Arsenal reserves win the Metropolitan League 'treble' in 1960/61. The son of West Ham and England star Len Goulden, he turned professional with Arsenal in September 1954 and was a member of the youth team that won the South-East Counties League 'double' in 1955/56. He returned from National Service in the RAF to make his solitary First Division appearance in Arsenal's 1-0 win at home to Leeds United in February 1959. Moving to Southend United in May 1961, he had spells with Ipswich, Stevenage, Gravesend & Northfleet and Dunstable before emigrating to Australia.       

Goalkeeper Peter Goy understudied Jack Kelsey and Jim Standen while at Arsenal. Signing professional at Highbury in June 1955, he starred as the youth team won the South-East Counties League 'double' in 1955/56 and made two First Division appearances during the 1958/59 campaign prior to joining Southend United for £2,000 in October 1960. He moved to Watford in July 1964, then had spells with Huddersfield Town, Hellenic, Cambridge United, Tonbridge and was Epping Town's player-boss. Now living in Shoeburyness, he ran Kingsway Screens with his father-in-law,
then Rayleigh Silk Screen Services until retirement.

Scotland international George Graham starred in Arsenal's 1970/71 'double' success. Initially with Aston Villa, he was a League Cup finalist in 1963 and joined Chelsea in July 1964. He helped win the League Cup in 1965 and moved to Arsenal in exchange for Tommy Baldwin in September 1966. Also featuring in two League Cup finals, the 1970 Fairs Cup final triumph and 1972 FA Cup final, he netted 59 goals in 227 League games before being sold to Manchester United for £120,000 in December 1972. He later played for Portsmouth and Crystal Palace, then achieved managerial success with Millwall, Arsenal, Leeds and Spurs.

Centre-forward Cyril Grant briefly played for Arsenal during the 1946/47 campaign. He impressed with Mexborough prior to joining Lincoln City in June 1939 and moved to Highbury in July 1946. Given his First Division debut in Arsenal's 2-0 defeat at Preston four months later, he also featured in the 2-0 reverse at Middlesbrough shortly before joining Fulham with Dave Nelson in exchange for Ronnie Rooke in December 1946. He moved to Southend United in March 1948 and was twice top scorer, reuniting with Lionel Smith at Gravesend & Northfleet in July 1955. He resided in Lewisham until his death in October 2002.

Versatile left winger Julian Gray's solitary Premiership appearance for Arsenal was as a substitute in the 4-2 defeat at Newcastle United in May 2000. A former trainee at Highbury, he signed professional in July 1998 and was a regular in the U-19 and reserve teams before being sold to Crystal Palace in July 2000. He scored in their 2002/03 FA Cup fourth round replay win at Liverpool and returned from a loan spell at Cardiff City to feature in Palace's 2003/04 promotion success. Moving to Birmingham City in June 2004, he played on the opposite flank to Jermaine Pennant in their Premiership side last season.   

Welsh U-23 inside-forward Arfon Griffiths gained 17 full caps after leaving Arsenal. Signing professional for hometown Wrexham in May 1959, he helped them win the Welsh Cup in 1960 and moved to Highbury for £15,500 in February 1961. He scored twice in 15 First Division games for Arsenal prior to rejoining Wrexham for £8,000 in September 1962. A key figure when they won promotion in 1962/63 and 1969/70 as well as the Welsh Cup on three other occasions, he made club record 592 League appearances. Awarded the MBE, he managed Wrexham, then Crewe Alexandra. He has since been a newsagent in Gresford.

Versatile French central defender Gilles Grimandi made a significant contribution to Arsenal's 1997/98 'double' success. Initially with hometown Gap, he spent seven seasons with Monaco and helped them win the French title in 1996/97. He reunited with Arsène Wenger at Highbury in June 1997 and was a valuable member of Arsenal's squad. Also featuring in the Gunners' 2001/02 Premiership title campaign, he netted four goals in 114 Premiership games before briefly joining Colorado Rapids in January 2003. He subsequently became director of football at Valence and is now an Arsenal scout based in France.

French Youth left-back David Grondin made his solitary Premiership appearance in Arsenal's 0-0 draw at home to Liverpool in January 1999. Previously with St Etienne, he moved to Highbury for £500,000 in July 1998 and made his first-team debut in Arsenal's 2-1 Worthington Cup third round win at Derby County. He also featured in the fourth round defeat at Chelsea and Champions League match at Panathinaikos. Loaned back to St Etienne in 1999/2000, Cannes in 2000/01 and Arsenal's feeder club Beveren in 2001/02, he joined Dunfermline Athletic in January 2003. He has since played for Brest and now Excelsior Mouscron.

Ginger-haired winger Perry Groves helped Arsenal win the League Championship in 1988//89 and 1990/91. The nephew of former Arsenal favourite Vic Groves, he starred for Colchester United before moving to Highbury for £50,000 in September 1986. He featured in Arsenal's 1987 Littlewoods Cup final triumph, then was a finalist again in 1988. Regularly appearing as a substitute, he netted 21 goals in 155 League games prior to joining Southampton for £750,000 in August 1992 where injury ended his top-flight career. Later playing for Dagenham & Redbridge and Canvey Island, he now guides Gunners fans around Emirates Stadium on 'Legends' Tours and occasionally plays for the Arsenal Ex-Pro XI.
Read Colin Benson's interview with Perry on page 56 of today's programme.

Versatile England U-23 forward Vic Groves starred as Arsenal finished third in the top-flight in 1958/59. He impressed with Leytonstone, Spurs and Walthamstow Avenue, gaining England Amateur honours before signing professional for Leyton Orient in October 1954. Moving to Highbury in a joint £30,000 deal with Stan Charlton in November 1955, he was converted successfully to wing-half and netted 31 goals in 185 First Division games for Arsenal prior to joining Canterbury City in May 1964. He was later a publican in Edmonton and Enfield, then an insurance salesman, becoming branch manager with Hambro Insurance.   

Icelandic international inside-forward Albert Gudmundsson briefly played for Arsenal during the 1946/47 season. He studied marine engineering in Glasgow and appeared for Rangers in wartime football, joining Arsenal as an amateur in September 1946. Making his First Division debut in the Gunners' 1-0 win at home to Stoke City two months later, he also appeared in the next match at Chelsea. He joined AC Milan in May 1947, then played for Nancy, Racing Club de Paris and Nice before returning to Iceland with Valur in July 1957. Later president of the Icelandic FA, he became his country's finance minister and died in May 1994. For more Icelandic links with Arsenal, turn to page 66.

Goalkeeper Ralph Guthrie understudied Welsh international Jack Kelsey while at Arsenal. He impressed with Tow Law before moving to Highbury in December 1952 and was given his First Division debut in the Gunners' 2-1 defeat at Manchester City in September 1954. Also featuring in the following month's 1-0 reverse at home to Portsmouth, he helped win the Eastern Counties League title in 1954/55. He joined Hartlepools United in July 1956 and was ever-present in their 1956/57 promotion near-miss. Later with Horden CW, he was a shipyard joiner, residing in his native Hartlepool until his death in September 1996.

Young goalkeeper Lee Harper understudied David Seaman, Vince Bartram and John Lukic while at Arsenal. Initially with Eltham, he impressed with Sittingbourne before moving to Highbury for £150,000 in June 1994. He made his solitary Premiership appearance in Arsenal's 2-0 win at Southampton in March 1997 and reunited with Bruce Rioch and Stewart Houston at QPR for £125,000 in July 1997. Contesting a place with Ludo Miklosko, he joined Walsall in July 2001, moving to Northampton Town in July 2002. He helped reach the League Two play-offs in 2004/05 and was ever-present in last season's promotion success.


Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source
9 Nov 2006